Monday 21 June 2010

Asian Supermarket - Ormeau Road.





























The “Asian Supermarket” is just off the Ormeau Road and it has been a part of my life for a long time. It’s been there over 20 yrs. My folks took me at first, being 1980’s foodies.

Back in the days of Stewarts and Crazy Prices even olive oil was still a bit unusual, so this place felt wildly exotic, it still does.

I fancied a Thai Green Curry for dinner so decided to take the camera.

I shop here maybe once a month. Entering from a non-descript exterior, you’re hit by the smell of spices, brightly coloured packets and strange fruit you won’t see anywhere else and the constant chatter of languages you don’t understand. I love this place, even if I have no idea what you cook with at least half of what’s on the shelves. Truly authentic produce from Malaysia/China/Thailand/Japan and the starting point for any number of culinary adventures. It still has that feel of somehow leaving Northern Ireland at the door and being transported to a supermarket in Hong Kong.

Call in, Its not expensive and you’ll probably end up with a great dinner out of it. This section of the Ormeau Rd has quite a few supermarkets now catering to many of N.Ireland’s Immigrant communities. I often get spices for Indian curries from Bangla Bazaar round the corner.

The first photo is by Moochin Photoman, you can check out the rest of his work here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23386031@N00/

1 comment:

  1. I love this place. Visited today and have linked you to my blog at Nelly's Garden.

    ReplyDelete